It is very often that the food gets stuck in our wisdom tooth holes after the removal of the wisdom teeth. This food can be cleaned in various ways, including brushing, flossing, and rinsing the teeth with salt water.
The extraction of wisdom teeth is a very common dental procedure and many people pass through it. In fact, every year around 10 million wisdom teeth are extracted from 5 million people, according to research published in the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
The removal of wisdom teeth is done by surgical treatment. After the surgery, a blood clot is formed over the wisdom tooth, during the healing.
While the blood clot is forming, the food particles get stuck in the tooth hole. Which is very normal. If you are not feeling very uncomfortable, then the food particles eventually get dislodged by itself.
Read on to find out how to clean wisdom teeth holes and safely remove food stuck in wisdom tooth hole, and what to care for while the wisdom tooth is healing.
Rinsing the mouth with a warm saltwater solution is one of the effective ways to dislodge food particles from wisdom tooth holes. Don’t rinse your mouth on the day of your wisdom tooth surgery, at least wait for 24 hours after the surgery.
Let’s Talk about how to rinse the mouth with warm water properly.
- Mix half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water(not very hot or cold) and swish the solution around your mouth
- Don’t swish the warm water very vigorously, as this may damage the blood clot forming in the wisdom tooth hole.
- Repeat the process 3 to 4 times, in the morning and before sleeping at night.
2. Use of Interdental Toothbrush
Interdental brushes are thin brushes, that are specifically designed to clean food and plaque between your teeth. They come in different widths to suit the size of the gap between your teeth.
Choose wisely an interdental brush suitable for the size of the gap and use it carefully to prevent damaging the gum’s surrounding tissues.
Remember, don’t use this brush just after the surgery, wait at least a week.
3. Use Syringe of Warm water
Using a syringe filled with warm water is a very effective method to remove the food stuck in wisdom tooth hole.
How to use It
- Select a clean syringe with a small, rounded tip that can fit comfortably into the hole.
- Fill the syringe with warm water, ensure that it is not too hot to avoid any discomfort or pain.
- Position the syringe next to the hole.
- Direct aiming the water flow gently towards all sides of the food. This may help to remove it.
4. Spray the bottle of Warm water
If you don’t have a syringe to lift your stuck food out from the tooth hole, then using a spray bottle of warm water may also be very effective.
Fill a clean spray bottle with warm water, holding it close to your mouth towards the wisdom tooth hole where the food is lodged.
5. Brush gently
Using a soft-bristled toothbrush, gently brush the area where the food is stuck in the wisdom tooth hole. Be careful not to apply excessive pressure, as it may cause further irritation and bleeding.
Don’t use this technique until at least 7 days passed since your surgery.
6. Using a cotton swab
Using a soft cotton swab is very effective to remove the food from the wisdom tooth hole. Try using a clean cotton swab to brush the affected area.
Be cautious, not to push the food particle further into the hole.
You’ll want to wait at 7 days after your surgery before using this technique.
7. Using dental irrigation devices
There are some dental irrigation devices such as water flossers.
Use the settings recommended by the dentist, and point the device’s nozzle towards the wisdom tooth hole where the food is stuck. Be careful, use the gentle water stream to remove debris, and do not use it until the week passed since your surgery.
8. Rinse with Mouthwash
A gentle mouthwash works very effectively to remove the food stuck in wisdom tooth hole. But don’t rinse your mouth in the first 24 hours after the surgery.
Choose an antiseptic mouthwash recommended by your dentist. Most mouthwashes require you to swish for about 30 seconds to one minute.
Make sure the mouthwash reaches all the areas, including the wisdom tooth hole where the food particles may be stuck.
9. Using Natural remedies
There are some natural remedies that work effectively in the removal of food stuck in the wisdom tooth hole.
- Rinse your mouth with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water, which can help you to remove the food particles.
- Applying a mixture of saltwater and turmeric can provide relief and promote healing.
10. Applying Clove oil
Clove oil is well known for its natural anti-inflammatory properties, which work effectively to remove food stuck in wisdom tooth hole.
- It has anti-bacterial properties that help to kill bacteria and prevent infection in the wisdom tooth hole.
- Dip a cotton ball or clean finger into the oil, and gently dap it directly on the wisdom tooth whole.
- You can try using a syringe with warm water after applying the clove oil to remove the loosened debris.
How to prevent food from getting stuck in the wisdom tooth hole?
Here are some tips that can help you prevent food from getting stuck in a wisdom tooth hole.
Avoid sticky or hard foods. Don’t eat food that is hard and sticky, especially after the surgery of your wisdom tooth. Type of foods like candy, seeds, and crunchy snacks often get stuck in the wisdom tooth holes and also causes gum infections.
- Chew on the opposite side. While the wisdom tooth hole is healing, try to chew the foods on the opposite side of your mouth. But if you have multiple tooth holes then it may be impossible for you.
- Drink water during and after meals. Drinking water while eating and after meals can help you to rinse away food particles and reduce the risk of food getting stuck in the wisdom tooth hole.
Rinse your mouth after eating. Rinsing the mouth after eating the meal helps you to flush out all the food particles before getting stuck.
How long does the wisdom hole take to close up?
The time it takes for a wisdom tooth hole to close up can vary from person to person. But generally, it takes about 7 to 10 days to recover fully from minor wisdom tooth surgery.
The healing process depends on different factors, including the severity of the tooth extraction, and the person’s ability to follow proper care instructions after the surgery.
Tips to speed up the recovery
- Avoid smoking during the recovery of your wisdom tooth hole.
- Don’t rinse the affected area for the first 24 hours after the tooth extraction as it can affect the wound.
- After one or two days of surgery, rinse the mouth with warm salt water that helps to remove the particles of food and bacteria
Should we need to remove a wisdom tooth?
In some cases, wisdom tooth removal is necessary and recommended, while in other cases, it is not required.
Some common reasons why you need to remove the wisdom tooth.
- When a wisdom tooth does not have enough space to grow properly. This tooth might be affected which can cause pain, infection, and damage to other surrounding teeth.
- Wisdom teeth can exert pressure on the adjacent teeth which can lead to crowding of the teeth in the mouth due to lack of space.
- They’re more prone to cavities due to their location, causing significant decay or infection
- They come in a crooked position and can damage other teeth.
After the wisdom tooth surgery, a hole may be visible in the tooth. The blood clot formed after the tooth extraction, which eventually closed by itself.
By following the tips and techniques discussed in this article, you can easily remove the food stuck in wisdom tooth hole.
Remember that the wisdom tooth hole started healing from the bottom, not from the top. And don’t worry that the food is stuck permanently in your gums.
What should we do If the food stuck in wisdom tooth hole 3 weeks after?
If you have food stuck in your wisdom tooth hole after three weeks of extraction, it’s important to take quick action to remove it as soon as possible. If the food particles in the wisdom tooth hole are not removed on time, it may cause various problems, including infection and discomfort.
If the food is still not lodged out from the wisdom tooth hole after using the following tips, you should consult your dental professional.
how to clean wisdom teeth holes without syringe?
You have a lot of options to remove food in wisdom tooth holes, including rinsing with warm water, use of an interdental toothbrush, warm bottle spray, and a cotton swab all work effectively in removing the food stuck in the tooth hole.