Have you ever thought about what Fig Newtons do to our digestion? Don’t worry you’re not alone. These famous cookies have always been linked to their potential effect on our digestive system.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the facts about Fig Newtons and answer the most asked question: “Do Fig Newtons make you poop?” We will explain what exactly a Fig Newton is, its nutritional value, and its potential benefits.
Read on to find out the secrets behind these delicious Fig Newtons and how they impact your digestive system.
Fig Newton, or Newtons as we know them today, is a type of cookie that consists of a soft and chewy outer cake-like shell filled with a sweet and flavorful fig paste. You can find it in a lot of snack cabinets these days in America.
It was first introduced in 1891 by the National Biscuit Company (now known as Nabisco), these cookies have since become an American classic loved by many.
These cookies are a good option for lunch or snack time. Plus, they pair perfectly with a hot coffee or a soothing cup of hot tea.
Check out this article to learn more about the history of Fig Newtons.
Fig Newton nutrition ingredients
If you really want to know whether Fig Newtons make you poop or not, you first need to check their nutrition fact.
Here are some of the main ingredients that are usually found in Fig Newtons:
- Figs: As the name suggests, figs are the main ingredient of these cookies. Figs are naturally high in fiber, which can have implications for digestion.
- Wheat Flour: The outer shell of a Fig Newton is made from wheat flour, providing carbohydrates for energy.
- Thiamine Mononitrate: A synthetic version of Vitamin B1, which helps with energy metabolism.
- Sugar: Like most sweet treats, sugar is an ingredient used to enhance flavor.
- Corn Syrup: Corn syrup contributes to the overall sweetness and texture of the cookie.
- Palm Oil: Palm oil is mostly used as a fat source in many baked goods, including Fig Newtons.
- Salt and Baking Soda: These ingredients are added to enhance the taste and texture of the cookies.
Nutritional value of Fig Newtons
Two cookies (or 31 grams) of Fig Newtons roughly contain the following nutritional components:
- Calories: 100
- Total Fat: 2g (3% Daily Value)
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 95mg (4% Daily Value)
- Carbohydrates: 22g (8% Daily Value)
- Dietary Fiber: 1g (4% Daily Value)
- Total Sugars: 12g
- Includes Added Sugars: 10g (20% Daily Value)
- Protein: 1g
Keep in mind that these values will slightly be changed depending on the brand and specific recipe of the Fig Newtons.
Fig Newton benefits
Here are some notable benefits that Fig Newton provides us:
- Fig, the main ingredient, is a good source to keep your digestive system healthy.
- It provides a quick energy boost with carbohydrates from wheat flour and sugars which makes them a convenient snack choice.
- Fig Newtons contains Thiamine Mononitrate, an artificial form of Vitamin B1 that supports energy metabolism and overall bodily functions.
- With just 2g of total fat per serving, Fig Newtons are a healthier choice than many other cookies.
- Fig Newtons contain no trans fat or cholesterol which makes them a healthier option for our heart health.
Do Fig Newtons make you poop?
Yes, Fig Newtons makes it easy for you to poop. It can help with regular bowel movements due to their fiber content.
Fiber keeps your digestive system healthy by adding some extra bulk to your poop which makes it easier to pass.
The figs in Fig Newtons are a natural source of dietary fiber. However, while they can help with regularity, you shouldn’t rely on Fig Newtons as a primary solution for constipation or other digestive issues.
Always consult with a doctor about any serious digestive problems. Remember that while these fig cookies do have some nutritional benefits, they also contain sugar and should be consumed in moderation as part of a well-balanced diet.
Are Fig Newtons good for constipation?
Yes, Fig Newtons can be helpful for people experiencing constipation. The main ingredient, figs, is high in dietary fiber which helps to stimulate bowel movements. Fiber helps bulk up the stool, making it easier to go and providing relief from constipation.
As mentioned earlier, while Fig Newtons can help with constipation due to their high fiber content, you should not rely on it as the only solution.
You should also focus on some dietary changes, like adding more fruits, veggies, and whole grains, along with adequate hydration, which are required for healthy digestion.
So, do Fig Newtons make you poop? The answer is not quite definitive. While the fiber content in figs found within these cookies can help to improve bowel regularity for some people, it’s important to remember that overall digestive health depends on various factors and is not only determined by a single type of cookie.
Moderation is key when enjoying Fig Newtons or any sweet treat. Having a balanced diet with a mix of fiber-rich foods is better for your digestion than relying on just one snack.
Can Fig Newtons cause diarrhea?
Yes, consuming Fig Newtons in excess can cause diarrhea. The main ingredient, figs, is a rich source of dietary fiber. While fiber is beneficial for regular bowel movements, but consuming large amounts can cause digestive discomfort, such as diarrhea.
Are Fig Newton cookies good for you?
Fig Newtons, like any sweet treat, should be enjoyed in a moderate amount as part of a well-balanced diet. While they do offer some nutritional benefits such as fiber from figs, they also contain added sugars and fats. For healthier snack options, consume whole fruits or other whole-food sources of fiber in your diet.